The Crimean Tatar Movement, March 1971 (18.7)

<<No 18 : 5 March 1971>>

Information Bulletin No. 101 has appeared, compiled by Crimean Tatar representatives in Moscow (seven signatures) and addressed “To the Crimean Tatar people and the CPSU Central Committee”. It lists documents received from Crimean Tatars and handed by their representatives in Moscow to the highest Party and government organisations between 16 February and 4 March 1971, giving details of their content and when they were handed in.

The documents include:

  • 72 collective letters, with 461 signatures, from Chirchik [Tashkent Region];
  • a letter from 233 Crimean Tatars about the book Three Hundred Days Behind Enemy Lines by [Zarlyk] Saginbayev [1], which propagates “a line of discrimination against our people”;
  • the 164th volume of documents containing appeals from young people, with 4,125 signatures;
  • and telegrams to L.I. Brezhnev, M.A. Suslov, A.N. Kosygin, N.V. Podgorny and Ya. Nasriddinova [2] requesting them to petition the Presidium of the 24th Party congress for the return of the Crimean Tatars to their homeland and the restoration of Crimean Tatar autonomy. The telegrams are signed by the Crimean Tatar representatives in Moscow.


In 1969 Eldar Shabanov, aged 32, purchased a house in the Crimean town of Belogorsk and moved into it with his mother, wife and child; not long ago a second child was born. He is now liable to forcible eviction, since he is not registered there as a resident. Novikov, the chief of police, has stated that “the first Crimean Tatar will be registered only over my dead body”.

Eldar Shabanov has declared that he will not submit to eviction and has barricaded himself in his house.

In 1969 the Crimean Tatar family of Bekir [Kashka] was living in the village of Kizilovka in the Belogorsk District. They owned their house but were not registered. On the night of 26-27 July [in fact June] 1969 about twenty men burst into the house. The members of the family (including five children) were bound, gagged and deported from the Crimea [CCE 14.12, item 7].


Tashkent. In September 1970 Sinie Mustafayeva (b. 1952) was sentenced to three years of ordinary-regime corrective-labour camps for putting up black flags on the premises of the police and the District Executive Committee of Toi-Tyube on 18 May that year. (18 May is the anniversary of the Tatars’ deportation from the Crimea.)